Community Care Services

Our Services

Hindmarsh Shire Council facilitates a variety of support and care services to help our community members remain as independent as possible and remain in their own homes.
This includes the following:

Domestic Assistance
To provide domestic chores to maintain a person’s capacity to manage everyday activities in a safe, secure and healthy home environment, including time limited services to support wellness and reablement goals.

Personal Care
To support people in activities of daily living that help to maintain appropriate standards of hygiene and grooming including time limited services to support wellness and reablement goals.

Flexible Respite
To support and maintain care relationships between carers and consumers, through providing good quality respite so that carers can take a break.

Meals on Wheels
To provide a person with access to meals.

Home Maintenance
To provide services that assist a person to maintain their home in a safe and habitable condition. Services are linked to assisting a person to maintain their independence, safety, accessibility and health and wellbeing with in the home environment.

Community Town Taxi (Nhill Township only)
The program is a volunteer supported program designed to assist eligible Nhill residents with their transport requirements within the towns’ limits, to attend appointments, shopping and paying accounts.

Seasonal and One-off Programs
From time to time, Hindmarsh Shire Council Community Services team run different seasonal and one-off programs for its Community Care consumers. In the past the seasonal programs have included a Summer Meal program and a Winter Casserole program. Depending on eligibility, Community Care clients are provided with an opportunity to join these programs as they come up. 

Home and Community Care Program Manual

My Aged Care Website

Eligibility and Assessment

Our services are for people in our community who need assistance with daily tasks so that they can continue living at home. Hindmarsh Shire Council is funded for a range of services by both the State and Commonwealth governments, each having different eligibility requirements. Where you start and what requirements you need to meet to be eligible depends on your individual situation.

If You're Under 65 Years Old (PYP)
To make a referral for persons under 65 years of age, or under 50 years of age for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, call our office on (03) 5391 4444 or email

Council’s HACC PYP officer can undertake a holistic Living at Home Assessment to understand the person's needs. Our officer will explore ways for the person to live independently and remain active in their community. Assessments are usually completed in the person's own home and are a good opportunity to find out about other assistance that may be available within the community. Assessment requirements may vary according to State or Federal Government funding guidelines; all assessments are completed in an individual, confidential and sensitive manner. 

More information on Home and Community Care Services for younger people can be found here.

If You're Over 65 Years Old
For referrals for persons over 65 years of ages, or over 50 years of age for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, please contact the My Aged Care program on 1800 200 422 or by visiting


Once registered with My Aged Care, an assessment officer from the Regional Assessment Service will contact you. The officer will arrange a suitable time to visit you in your home to find out what services you are eligible for and would most benefit you.


We offer volunteering opportunities both with our Community Taxi program in Nhill and our Meals on Wheels program across the Shire. 

Please visit out Volunteering page for more information.