Planning Information

Planning Scheme 

A planning scheme is a legal document that sets out policies and provisions that regulate how land can be used, developed and/or protected within a council area. 

Hindmarsh Planning Scheme

For more information about planning schemes in general, visit the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning website.

What are zones and overlays?

Land throughout Hindmarsh Shire is grouped into zones; e.g. ‘General Residential’ or ‘Farming’. Zones specify the purpose of the subject land and how it can be used.  Every zone has a table of uses as follows:

  • Section 1: uses which do not require a planning permit in that zone;
  • Section 2: uses which do require a planning permit in that zone; and
  • Section 3: uses that are prohibited in that zone.

Building, works and subdivision requirements are also outlined within the zone provisions.

An overlay addresses specific issues which may apply to certain areas of land; e.g. ‘flooding’, ‘heritage’ or ‘bushfire management’. Should the land be affected by an overlay, any provisions specified by an overlay apply in addition to zoning provisions.

Curious about what zone your property is in? Visit our Community Map to discover your property!

Planning Enforcement 

What happens when a use or development occurs illegally without planning permission? Click here to view Council's Planning Enforcement page.

Contact Us

You can contact our Planning Department using the contact details below, or you can submit a Planning Enquiry Form to receive specific advice for your project.

Hindmarsh Shire Council
92 Nelson Street
Nhill, VIC 3418

Phone: (03) 5391 4444

Email: - Marked 'Attention Planning'