Councils use local laws to respond to issues and community needs within a municipality. These locals laws compliment their responsibilities and powers under both state and federal laws. Where appropriate, Council’s may introduce local laws, or by-laws to exercise these powers.

Hindmarsh currently has two local laws. Click on the links below to read through the documents:

Hindmarsh Municipal Local Law
This local law governs the following activities:

  • Camping, both on private property and public land
  • Control of vehicles, including abandoned vehicles
  • Livestock
  • Environmental amenity - such as incinerators, collection of waste and keeping of animals
  • Municipal places, including buildings
  • Use of recreational vehicles
  • Street traders, collectors and buskers activities
  • Road closures
  • Street and footpath furniture
  • Protection of Council assets
  • Enforcement of local laws

For more information, please read below.

Hindmarsh Meeting Procedure and Common Seal Local Law
This local law sets out rules for the use of the Common Seal, the election of the Mayor, procedures applying to Council meetings and offences against this local law.


Without a permit, a person must not display, sell or offer for sale, any vehicle or goods, including raffle tickets, on a road or municipal place.

This means that you may need a Street collector permit or Street furniture permit to undertake your activity or place items onto the footpath.

Street collector permits are required if you are dealing in goods, collecting money, selling raffle tickets or busking in a street, public place or vacant land. See the application form here.

Street furniture permits are required if you wish to display a moveable advertising sign, display goods or place tables and chairs onto the footpath or road. See the application form here.


Without a permit, a person must not collect wood from the road reserve. To obtain a roadside wood collection permit and make payment, please contact Council on (03) 5391 4444 or info@hindmarsh.vic.gov.au.

Firewood can be collected from:

  • 1 March to 30 June (Autumn season)
  • 1 September to 30 November (Spring season)

These permits allow the holder to collect up to one cubic metre of wood from Council managed road reserves.

PLEASE NOTE that not all roads can be collected from – for a list of roads that you CANNOT collect from, click here.

You are also able to collect firewood for free from a designated collection area within a State Forest. This does not require a permit, however collection is only permitted within the designated area and time period and collection rules and limits apply. For more information, please contact the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning or visit https://www.ffm.vic.gov.au/firewood/firewood-collection-in-your-region.


Smoke and ash from open-air burning is becoming less acceptable due to health and amenity concerns. Without a permit obtained from Council, a person must not burn in the open air in a built up, residential or township area.

To obtain a permit, please use the following form: Application to light a fire on a residential property

Please note that the use and lighting of incinerators in Hindmarsh is prohibited.

NOTE: Permits will not be issued during a Fire Danger Period as declared by the Country Fire Authority Act 1958.


During a declared Fire Danger Period, a permit must be obtained to light a fire for the purposes of burning off grass or stubble in non-residential areas.

Please complete the application form here.


All dogs and cats over the age of three months are required to be registered with Council. For more information about animal registration, please visit our ‘Register my Animal’ page.

Additionally, the local laws govern the keeping of the types and numbers of animals in certain areas. For more information about the keeping of animals, please visit the Register my Animal page.

The local laws also enable an authorised officer to monitor the health of animals residing within the Shire and take action if necessary.


It is illegal to park in a marked disabled parking bay unless you, or your passenger, has a valid Disabled Parking Permit. To obtain a disabled parking permit you must make an application to Council.

There are two classes of permits – one that enables you to utilise marked disabled parking bays, and one which permits you to use only standard parking spaces but for double the time restriction. Permits are usually issued for three years, unless you are only eligible for a temporary permit, which is active for six months.

Individual Disabled parking permit application form

Organisation parking permit application form


Parking of vehicles on the footpath or nature strip is illegal. This is because it obstructs the footpath area and creates hazards for pedestrians.


A vehicle is considered abandoned if it has been left standing in a road or street, in a parking area or on Council land for a period greater than two months.

Suspect you have seen an abandoned vehicle? Contact Council on (03) 5391 4444 to speak with a Local Laws team member.


If you wish to hold an event in a public place, such as a skate park, community reserve or public park, you will need a permit from Council. Please use this application form to apply.


In a municipal place (includes council offices, buildings and depots, tips, reserves, skate parks and aquatic facilities) a person must not, without authority from Council, consume, supply or sell liquor; or enter or remain under the influence of liquor.

Additionally, there are restrictions regarding the times that you are permitted to consume alcohol in public places within Hindmarsh’s four towns, unless you have been granted a permit to do so.

You are able to apply for a permit to consume or sell liquor in a public place from Council – see the application form here.


To temporarily close a road, a road closure permit is required from Council. In order to obtain the permit, you will need to submit an application form, a risk management plan and a traffic management plan.

If you are having difficulty with the application process, please contact Council.


Street furniture refers to all moveable advertising signs, A-frame signs, displays of goods and tables and chairs which are placed on a road or road-related area, such as a footpath.

A street furniture permit is required to ensure that the items do not unreasonably impede, obstruct or hinder the movement of pedestrian traffic along the footpath.

To apply for a street furniture permit, please complete this application form.


Under Hindmarsh local law, a landowner or occupier must not allow or permit their land to be kept in a manner which is a haven for vermin, noxious weeds, insects or excessive vegetation growth.

Under the Country Fire Authority Act 1958 there is a set process Council is required to follow when a fire hazard is reported on privately owned property. This includes the issuing of fire prevention notices and infringements, and the undertaking of clean-up works under the Local Government Act 2020.

Council proactively undertakes fire prevention property inspections in each town prior to the fire danger season. If you have concerns regarding vegetation on a particular property, you are welcome to contact Council on (03) 5391 4444 to speak to a local laws team member.

For more information about fire prevention, check out this link - https://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/about/who-does-what