Council Rates and Charges

How to pay my rates or bills | Email my rate notices | How your rates are calculated | Your rates explained | Property valuations | Financial Difficulty | Rebates | Change my details


How to pay my rates or bills

To use BPay, contact your participating bank, credit union or building society and make your payment directly from your cheque, savings or credit account. Make sure you quote the Biller Code and Customer Reference number located on the front of the rates notice.
To use Post Billpay, please present your rate notice together with your payment at any Post Office, phone 13 18 16 or go to

To make payment through mail, please make cheques payable to “Hindmarsh Shire Council” and crossed “Not Negotiable”. Please ensure that the remittance slip for your account is attached to the cheque then mail your payment to:

Hindmarsh Shire Council
PO Box 250
Nhill Vic 3418

To arrange a Direct Debit, please use this Direct Debit Request form or contact one of our Customer Service Centres so that we can arrange to have one posted out to you or available for collection at your convenience. Payment arrangements can be made weekly, fortnightly, monthly or by instalment. Please ensure that you read our Direct Debit Request Service Agreement before completing the form.


Email my rate notices

Council now provide a service through Ezybill which enables ratepayers to opt to have their Rate Notices sent to them via email instead of the post.

To register for this service please click here

What to expect during registration:

You will be required to create an Ezybill account (if you don’t have one already), once this has been done you will receive an email which you can use to activate your account.  By following the prompts within the email you will be sent directly to the page that you can use to register your property for emailed notices. At this point you will be required to enter some details which can be found on your Rate Notice. Each assessment must be registered separately, but once it has been done the first time you won’t be required to do it again.

If at any point in time following registration you wish to cancel this service and go back to receiving a paper notice, you can do this by contacting us on (03) 5391 4444.

Your rates explained

Rates are a financial contribution made by each Hindmarsh property owner towards the cost of maintaining our Shire’s infrastructure such as local roads and footpaths, and providing a range of services and facilities to the community.


Most of Council’s income is generated from rates, which are set by Council as a property-based levy on the valuation of a property. Rates are calculated over the financial year from 1 July to 30 June.

What do my rates pay for?

MAV Rates May 2019 from MAV on Vimeo.

How Your Rates Are Calculated

The State Government has introduced Rate Capping which sets out the maximum amount which councils may increase their total rate revenue in a year.

The total rate revenue is then divided by the total Capital Improved Value (CIV) of all properties in the municipality, providing a factor known as the rate in the dollar. The rate in the dollar is then used to calculate each individual property’s annual rate charge. Further information regarding our rating strategy is available in our Hindmarsh Shire Council Budget.

Your levies explained

General Rate
The general rate levy contributes to the cost of maintaining our Shire’s infrastructure such as local roads and footpaths, and providing a range of services and facilities to the community.

Municipal Charge
All properties attract a municipal charge which helps pay for Council's governance and administration.

Garbage Charges
Every urban property in the Shire attracts a compulsory garbage collection charge. Rural properties are charged if the property is located on the designated rural collection route and owners opt to use the service.

This charge covers the collection of garbage and recyclables from your property as well as the disposal, sorting and recycling of waste as applicable. This charge also funds the provision of waste and recycling infrastructure, including future rehabilitation of landfill sites.

View our waste collection page

Fire Services Levy
A State Government Fire Services Levy is collected through your council rates. Council does not retain this money.  It is remitted to the State Revenue Office on a quarterly basis.

How is the Fire Services Levy Calculated?
Click here to find out how the Fire Services Levy is calculated. 


Fire Services Levy website 

Property Valuations

A valuation of every property in the municipality is undertaken every year by an external third-party, in accordance with guidelines issued by the Victorian Valuer-General and relevant legislation. Any changes to the property value will then be reflected in the rate notice. Properties with a higher market value will attract higher rates than those with lesser value.

Valuation Objection

If you have an objection to your property valuation, you are able to lodge an objection.

First we will refer you to our Valuer so that you can discuss the value that has been assigned to your property. If you still disagree with the value after this discussion then you can complete the relevant objection form (click below) and lodge it with us for formal review.

Objections can only be made within 60 days after receiving the first instalment assessment notice.  Your completed objection form will referred to our contract Valuer who will re-value the property if necessary.  Valuations are undertaken every year and the current valuations are a reflection of the market as at the latest revaluation.

Financial Difficulty

If you are experiencing difficulty paying your rates and charges by the due instalment dates, please contact our rates department on 53914444 to arrange a payment plan.


If you hold a Pensioner Concession Card issued by Centrelink or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs you may be eligible to a rate rebate on your principal place of residence.

To apply for this rebate you will need to complete a Municipal Rates Concession form and provide us with a copy of your current Pensioner Concession Card. This form can be accessed online by using this link, or by requesting one from any of our Customer Service Centres via telephone, email or in person.

Applications to claim a pensioner rebate can be made at any time during the year.  This is a rebate provided by Department of Human Services and is subject to strict guidelines. For further information on the Department of Human Services, their municipal rates concession and associated guidelines, you can visit their website using the following link


With the easing of COVID-19 pandemic restrictions, Hindmarsh Shire customer service centres and libraries will gradually reopen to the public.

From Wednesday 17 June 2020, the telephone operating system will be operational between the hours of 9:00am and 5:00pm from Monday to Friday.

From Monday 22 June 2020, the Nhill customer service centre will be open for appointments only between the hours 9am - 12noon and 2pm - 4pm Monday to Friday.

Jeparit and Rainbow customer services centres and the new Hindmarsh Shire Libraries service in Nhill, Jeparit, and Rainbow will be reviewed on a regular basis, with the aim to open mid-late July subject to COVID-19 pandemic restrictions.

Dimboola customer service and library will be reviewed on a regular basis, with the aim to open mid-late July subject to completion of the current building works and COVID-19 pandemic restrictions.

See more council services changes or information about COVID-19