Emergency FAQs

What is a Fire Danger Rating and Code Red Day?

The Fire Danger Rating tells you how dangerous a fire would be if one is started. It helps you to know when conditions are dangerous enough to enact your Bushfire Survival Plan.

Code Red is the highest Fire Danger Rating.

Click here for more information.

What is a Neighbourhood Safe Place or Place of Last Resort?

Neighbourhood Safer Places (NSP's) are Places of Last Resort when all other bushfire plans have failed. They are designated community areas that may provide some protection from radiant heat, which is the biggest killer during bushfires. They are not inherently safe places and won't guarantee your safety. The safest option is to leave early.

Click here for more information. 

What essential service disruptions can I encounter during an emergency?

You can encounter some essential service disruptions such as power outage or water supply disruption during an emergency.

Click here for more information.

How can I manage stress during an emergency?

The impact of an emergency can be stressful and exhausting. People are encouraged to look after themselves in this period. Talking it over with others often helps recovery from exposure to traumatic events.

Click here for more information and help.

What is a Bushfire Survival Plan and who should have one?

The Country Fire Authority (CFA) recommends that people who live or holiday in high bushfire risk areas of Victoria prepare themselves, their belongings and property for the event of a fire.

In the event of a fire you need to enact your Bushfire Survival Plan. The CFA can provide specialist advice on these plans. Click here to read the CFA guide to Bushfire Plans.

It is the responsibility of the individual to make decisions about their safety. Each individual or family need their own personalised Bushfire Survival Plan. This includes whether they will leave their property and when.

The decision to leave early is not the same for every household. The place you decide to go to depends on your individual needs. There is no designated or set "Leave Early" location in our municipality.

For more information on Bushfire Survival Plans click here.

Why should I leave early and how will I know when to leave?

The safest option in an emergency is always to leave early. Leaving early is the recommended course of action and should be your first consideration and included in your planning. Part of your Bushfire Survival Plan is to decide where your Leave Early place is and what the trigger to decide to go will be.

You should remain vigilant on days of severe or extreme weather events (such as Code Red fire danger days) for warnings and other information about emergency.

Click here for more information on leaving early.

What is a relief centre?

Click here to watch a video explaining what you can expect at an emergency relief centre.

Hindmarsh Shire Council has a number of locations assessed as suitable for a Relief Centre. A Relief Centre is established once an emergency is declared. The decision of which Relief Centre to open is dependent on the nature and extent of emergency. Its purpose is to provide shelter, first aid, food, registration and support and information.

If attending an Emergency Relief Centre people should bring:

  • any medication, prescriptions and other personal health aids
  • personal identity documents
  • light bedding and clothing
  • cash, water and non-perishable goods to last at least 12 hours
  • baby necessities such as nappies and baby formula

Council has limited space for companion animals and pets. Depending on the emergency this location may not be near the Relief Centre. A Relief Centre in not a Leave Early place. The location of Relief Centres will be conveyed by local media. This location will be determined once the nature of the emergency is known.

How can I prepare and assist animals during an emergency?

For owners and those in charge of animals planning for emergencies is critical. This includes companion animals (pets), livestock, wildlife and animals in foster care. Personal safety plans and household or property plans should include contingencies for animals that will either remain on the property or be evacuated during an emergency. Owners and those in charge of animals must take pre-emptive action by planning for animal needs and leaving early so that welfare problems can be avoided or minimised. The place you decide to go to depends on your individual needs.

Hindmarsh Shire Council has limited spaces for companion animals at a number of sites in Warracknabeal. The owner has the following responsibilities:

  • provision of water and feed
  • supervision and care of animals
  • veterinary treatment for injuries, illness and humane destruction
  • animals must be tagged or micro chipped for identification

The Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources has developed guides for your consideration when preparing your plan in case of fire. These can be incorporated with your personal Bushfire Survival Plan: