Liquor Licences

Any person or organisation that intends to supply liquor in Victoria must apply for a licence through the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCGLR).  This is changing as of 1 July 2022, the VCGLR will no longer incorporate liquor licences. Instead this will become the role of the Department of Justice and Community Safety (DJCS).

Applications to the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation will be referred to Council for comment.  Council has 30 days to respond to a notification from Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation and advise if there are or are not any objections to the application.

Do I need a Planning Permit? 

In most cases (if not all) a Planning Permit is required prior to a liquor licence. This is to ensure that licensed premises are situated in appropriate locations, and to ensure that any potential impact of the licensed premises on the surrounding area is considered. 

  1. Apply for a Planning Permit 
  2. Planning Permit will get sent to the VCGLR / DJCS as a referral - This is where they will give their initial thoughts
  3. Once Planning Permit is approved and given - you will take that and put it with your liquor licence application
  4. If VCGLR / DJCS approves, it will come back to council for final approval.  

Common types of liquor licences that require a Planning Permit include:
  • Restaurant and / or Cafe;
  • On Premises Liquor Licence (The sale of liquor to people to consume on the premises, and to purchase to take away);
  • An increase in area that liquor is allowed to be consumed or supplied;
  • An increase in the number of patrons allowed to consume alcohol under an existing licence;
  • An increase in the hours of trading allowed under an existing licence.